Monday, January 20, 2014

Captain's Corner - past captains, Mountain Cats, Vengeance

Each week for the rest of the 2013-14 season, Metro Jets’ captain Zack MacKay will give his thoughts on topics surrounding the team as it makes its way through the North American 3 Hockey League season, the 25th for the Jets as a junior franchise. 

-- On taking over as the Jets' captain from Josh Beleski.

It's a huge honor being given the chance to be the captain of the Jets. I had a taste of it at the beginning of the year while Beleski was undecided on playing with us or not and it was a great privilege. With being captain, I also felt I needed to step up my game and be more of a leader on the ice.

-- On what he learned this season from Beleski and last season from Matt Stirling.

This year, whenever I'd have to do something or make a captain’s decision on something, my first thoughts have been to ask myself how Stirling would handle it. Both Beleski and Stirling were great role models on the ice as well, putting their bodies on the line for the team, and that was one of the biggest traits I had to take in from them.

-- On last weekend's sweep of the Michigan Mountain Cats.

The sweep from the weekend was huge. After having a close game against Flint last Saturday and then being up 2-0 in the first and losing last Sunday to Flint, I feel we really needed these wins for the points and a confidence boost to get everything back on track.

-- On hosting the Pittsburgh Vengeance at home this weekend.

This coming weekend is no different than any other weekend. It doesn't matter who we’re playing, we just have to be ready to play a full 60 minutes each game. Preparing for the games ahead, I think as a team, we all need to be ready to practice hard this week and it'll fall into place.

No comments:

Post a Comment