Wednesday, January 15, 2014

Captain's Corner - Flint, playoffs, Mountain Cats, last game

Each week during the 2013-14 season, Metro Jets’ captain Josh Beleski will give his thoughts on topics surrounding the team as it makes its way through the North American 3 Hockey League season, the 25th for the Jets as a junior franchise. 

-- On getting swept last weekend by Flint.

It was a pretty rough weekend, but the guys all played hard. We spent most of our time in the penalty box, but we never stopped fighting. Saturday was upsetting because we had the win, but we made one simple mistake that lost us the game.

-- On looking ahead and how to make the playoffs.

The guys just need to stay positive and keep working hard. They won't see Flint for the rest of the season, so all they have to worry about is beating everyone else, but if they make it to playoffs, they will end up playing Flint again and I know the guys can pull off the wins they need.

-- On this weekend's home-and-home with the Michigan Mountain Cats.

Well, these four points are huge, but so is every other point from here on out. The team just needs to take it one day at a time and not get ahead of themselves. I know the guys are going to win this weekend and hopefully, will continue to win because they deserve to make the playoffs.

-- On last Sunday being his last game with the Jets before leaving for Navy boot camp Feb. 11.

I had been talking to the coaches about it for a while. I just figured I would make Sunday my last game because it was at home against Flint. I couldn't think of a better way to go out. Before the game, I was okay and I held myself together. I think I really started getting emotional in the last minute of the game. I'm going to miss the road trips and the early morning practices with the boys. It was hard knowing I would have to leave my brothers at some point during the season, but duty calls and I have to do what I think is best for Sarah (my future wife) and I in the long run. I just want to say thank you to everyone who has supported me and my decision and to the guys, thank you for the memories. I love you all like brothers!  

No comments:

Post a Comment