Tuesday, November 12, 2013

Jets' forward Shand earns recall to NAHL's Jr. Blues

WATERFORD, Mich. – The Metro Jets of the North American 3 Hockey League announced today that forward Kevin Shand has been recalled by the Springfield Jr. Blues of the North American Hockey League.

Shand, an 18-year-old native of Saline, Mich., started the season in Springfield before being reassigned to the Jets where he tallied eight goals and nine assists in just nine games.

He leaves Metro second in team scoring.

“It was a great lesson coming to the Jets and I really enjoyed my time there,” said Shand, who is expected to be in the Jr. Blues’ lineup this weekend on the road against the Coulee Region Chill. “I feel like I am coming back to Springfield with improved work ethic and skill and more confidence with and without the puck. “I'm expecting a lot more leadership and commitment out of myself because of my experience with the Jets. It taught me a lot and definitely helped me mature as both a player and a person.”

Jets’ head coach Justin Quenneville, who also has experience coaching at the NAHL level, couldn’t be happier for Shand.

“Kevin came here not treating the situation as a demotion and really shined in the role we put him in,” said Quenneville. “The model we have here in Metro and really, in all of the NA3HL, is to move players on when they are ready and not hold guys back just to make our team better. If we have a player who is ready for the NAHL or higher levels, we don’t want them with us longer than they need to be.”

The Jets (8-10-1) play a home-and-home series with the Flint Jr. Generals this weekend starting Saturday night at Lakeland Arena for a 7:50 p.m. puck drop. The series wraps up Sunday at 2:30 p.m. at Iceland Arenas in Flint.

No comments:

Post a Comment