Tuesday, October 8, 2013

Captain's Corner - Cirone, Quenneville, Wisconsin Whalers

Each week during the 2013-14 season, Metro Jets’ captain Josh Beleski will give his thoughts on topics surrounding the team as it makes its way through the North American 3 Hockey League season, the 25th for the Jets as a junior franchise. 

-- On what Jason Cirone meant to him.

Jason has taught me a lot of things, but most of all, I think he has taught me to become a better man. When I first came to the team, I was really immature and didn’t know how to control my emotions, but he never gave up on me and worked with me every step of the way on and off the ice. Now two seasons later, he gave me the honor of leading my teammates into battle day in and day out. I owe a lot of my success to Jason and just want to say I’m thankful for the opportunity to play for him. Jason meant a lot to the team. He was a great coach and a great guy. If we ever needed help or advice, whether it was about hockey or everyday life, Jason was always there for us. Jason was like a second father to me. He taught me a lot since I’ve played for his team on and off the ice. I wish him the best of luck in Nebraska. He deserves it.

-- On how he found out Cirone was leaving the team.

Jason pulled me into the coaches’ room and asked me what my plans were for next season. At first, I didn’t think anything of it, but as we continued to talk, I could tell he was trying to hint at something. And that's when he told me that he would be leaving us after the Cleveland games. To be honest, I was shocked and didn't know what to say, but like he said, “As players, we are all trying to make it to a higher level of hockey and it’s no different for him as a coach.” In the end, it sucks because the team and I will miss him, but it’s something he needs to do for himself and his family. He’s the right man for the job and he is going to be a great college coach, there is no doubt about that.

-- On last weekend's games.

I think we had a decent weekend. It was tough because Coach Justin (Quenneville) runs a different system and we only had a week to prepare, but we were a lot better on our power play and penalty kill last weekend. I also thought we did a better job of getting more pucks on the net. I still think we have a lot more to show though and we will continue to get better. I think the team is adjusting well – Justin is a great coach and really knows the game of hockey. He expects a lot from the boys and I, but that will only make us better in the end. The guys like the way he coaches and I think he is going to take this team far.

-- On hosting the Wisconsin Whalers at home this weekend.

To be honest, I know nothing about Wisconsin, but we are just going to go out there and play our game and pressure them into the ground. If we just commit to Justin’s system, there won't be many teams that will be able to compete with us. 

No comments:

Post a Comment