Tuesday, September 17, 2013

Captain's Corner - First four games, captaincy, Flint weekend

Each week during the 2013-14 season, Metro Jets’ captain Josh Beleski will give his thoughts on topics surrounding the team as it makes its way through the North American 3 Hockey League season, the 25th for the Jets as a junior franchise. 

-- On where he sees the team after a 3-0-1 mark through the first four games.

I feel we are heading in the right direction. Do I think we can be better? Yes. We had way too many turnovers and we were sloppy in our own zone, but those are easy mistakes that will be corrected for the future, but in the end, we came out on top and that's what counts.

-- On being named captain for the 2013-14 season.

I didn't find out I would be captain until I had been there for a couple days. I was very surprised because I thought I was just there to help out, but I'm honored to be leading these boys this season. I couldn't do it without the help of my assistant, Zack MacKay. He inspires me to be the best I can be everyday and always stay positive. He has tons of heart and I think the team feeds off that.

-- On getting elbowed in the head Saturday and sitting out Sunday with concussion symptoms.

My head is still hurting a little bit, but I’m trying to take it slow because that way, I can get back into things as soon as possible. I’m hoping to get back on the ice sometime next week to see how I feel.

-- On expectations for this weekend's home-and-home series with Flint.

I think this weekend against Flint is going to be our first true test. They are a strong and fast team and they never stop working. This weekend is going to come down to who makes the most mistakes, but how I see it is that if we just play within (head coach Jason Cirone’s) system and work hard and minimize our mistakes, then we will be moving on to the following weekend with four more points. 

No comments:

Post a Comment