Friday, March 15, 2013

Captain's Corner - Last thoughts for the season

Each week during the 2012-13 season, Metro Jets’ captain Matt Stirling will give his thoughts on topics surrounding the team as it makes its way through the North American 3 Hockey League grind.  

Today's edition is the final installment for the 2012-13 season.

-- On playing his final junior game last Sunday.

The worst was when there was a stoppage with about a minute and a half left when my mind had a chance to wander. You realize that not only is the season with this year’s team coming to an end, but your junior career is winding down and that was tough to grasp. Otherwise, it was mostly focused on winning the game and having fun while doing so.

-- On what he will take from his three seasons with the Jets.

There are tons of memories I will take from my time with the Jets. I think of at least two dozen right away that I will never forget (fights, road trips, coaches, teammates, goals, etc). Some standouts in general are the times spent with the guys in the locker room and on the road, the lessons learned from (head coach) Jason (Cirone) along with others over the years and the things I have learned about the game along the way. I wouldn’t trade those for anything else.

-- On the 2012-13 season.

It was another fun-filled year and I’d like to take this section to thank the guys I played with this year. They played well and after all the rough spots we had during the year, we came up just short. Overall, it was another fun year and although we didn’t make the playoffs, it was still a pleasure to play with the Jets again.

-- On being officially eliminated from playoff contention March 5 against Flint.

That was one of the tougher games down the stretch and we were up two in the game and to let that game slip was tough to swallow. We were red-hot coming into that game and eventually, the good play caught up to us as we weren’t able to win that crucial game.
 
-- On his future.

Next year, I will be playing hockey at college. The exact place is still up in the air, but the options have been narrowed down to a couple. I believe sometime in the near future I will be able to announce a plan for the coming years.

No comments:

Post a Comment