Wednesday, August 1, 2012

Reid hangs up skates, but staying involved with WMU gig

WATERFORD, MI – Just when Adam Reid thought he couldn’t catch a break, he did.

After the steady defenseman played last season for the Metro Jets of the North American 3 Hockey League, he had planned on moving up to the North American Hockey League with the New Mexico Mustangs, the team that signed him to a tender contract midway through last season.

Then this offseason, the Mustangs folded.

No worries. Reid attended a handful of other NAHL camps and was weighing several offers.

Then his doctor wouldn’t clear him to play hockey after a series of concussions in a short window of time left him as a player who was one hit away from not living a pain-free life.

With his skates hung up, Reid decided to enroll at Western Michigan University on a full-time basis and on a whim, landed himself a job working with the Broncos’ Division I hockey team.

“You can’t beat working with (WMU coach and longtime NHL coach) Andy Murray,” said Reid, who recorded two goals and nine points in 45 games last season with the Jets. “It’s hard to be done playing competitive hockey, but at least I’m staying involved. I’m looking forward to it.”

Reid will also stay on with the Jets in a special projects capacity.

Reid, originally from Kalamazoo, lived in Texas the better part of the last 14 years after his father’s job uprooted the family. He sat out all but four games of the 2010-11 season with concussion issues, but came to the Jets last year and was one of the team’s more consistent stay-at-home defenders.

“Last season was probably the most fun I’ve had playing hockey,” said the 20-year-old Reid. “The guys on the team were close, almost like brothers. I learned so much from (Jets head coach) Jason (Cirone) and I wouldn’t trade last year for anything. Things happen for a reason and even if I can’t keep playing hockey, I’m glad the opportunity came up at Western where I can still be around the game and get a great education.

“Above all, thank you to my wonderful parents, who ensured I had every opportunity to try and succeed. I am reminded of how special this game is, the colossal impact it has had on me in my life and how fortunate I was to step onto that ice for the last 16 years.”

No comments:

Post a Comment